Pages

Tuesday 16 July 2013

Muscle testing - Invaluable tool or hocus pocus

Muscle testing or Applied Kinesiology has been used by alternative health practitioners since the 1960's. It was originally developed by a Chicago chiropractor Dr Goodheart. Used predominantly in the US and Europe this diagnostic tool is little known to the general public in Canada. I first encountered it early in my Osteopathic career while watching my first boss David Melrose Osteopath and Herbalist. David used it both to assess peoples muscle strength but also to choose which herbs or homeopathic remedies to give his clients. After watching him test and treat a couple of clients it immediately grabbed my attention and opened my eyes as to how I was helping people.

While in college during my third and fourth years we would treat members of the public for a reduced rate. During this time I created quite a loyal following of satisfied clients. I seemed to have the healing touch for many I treated. This, of course, was excellent but I never really understood how this happened. At Osteopathic school we were taught the mechanics of treating people and how to be safe but the explanations on why this approach worked seemed a little wooly to myself.

Immediately after watching David I went in to see my next client and began testing their muscles to see where their weaknesses lie. I then applied the appropriate adjustments to their spine based on their weaknesses and to my excitement those weaknesses disappeared. This was also apparent to the client and furthermore when the client got up of the table their sore lower back felt better. At that point I was extremely hungry to understand more and muscle testing or AK has since been a fundamental part of my Osteopathic practice.

For myself it has been an invaluable tool and has with doubt without it I would not have helped many of the clients that have come to me for help. At the same time it has been a cross to bear during my career as some clients and some peers have seen it as irrelevant or hocus pocus. Since coming to Canada, it's reception has been mixed and as such I have learnt to recognize when to ration it's use in my practice. Like the world over some people are more open to new ideas then others. While I certainly do not rely on AK solely to diagnose clients physical problems I continue to try and open the minds of all that come into my office.

If you are interested in finding out more about AK I offer a free fifteen minute consultation
where I would be happy to show you how it can help unravel your health issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment